Honest. Conservative. Republican.
To find your District 18 polling place, please click here.
Representative David Nelson
Republican Candidate for House District 18
MAILING ADDRESS: P.O. Box 212386, Anchorage, AK
EMAIL: [email protected]
OCCUPATION: Member, Alaska House of Representatives
PLACE OF BIRTH: Orlando, Florida
EDUCATION: University of Alaska, Anchorage. Bachelor of Arts in Political Science 2018, U.S. Army Reserve Officer Training Course (ROTC) Cadet 2015-2018. U.S. Army Basic Officer Leadership Course 2018
ALASKA COMMUNITIES LIVED IN: Anchorage
MILITARY SERVICE: U.S. Army, Alaska Army National Guard First Lieutenant currently serving as the Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Officer for the 1-207th Aviation Battalion on JBER. Awarded the Army Commendation Medal for exemplary service during the earliest days of the Alaska Army National Guard’s COVID-19 response.
GOVERNMENT AND SERVICE ORGANIZATION(S) MEMBERSHIP:
- Past President, Mid-Town Rotary Club of Anchorage
- Former Member, Alaska Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee, Northeast Community Council Safety Patrol
- Member, Last Frontier Chapter, Association of the United States Army
- Member, Alaska Outdoor Council
- Member, National Rifle Association
- Eagle Scout
SPECIAL INTERESTS: Backpacking, camping, fishing, history, volunteering (Bean’s Cafe)
COMENDATIONS: Harvard Kennedy School Institute of Politics selection to its first cohort of IOP Emerging Leaders.
STATEMENT: Following the 2020 Census, the boundaries of all Alaska legislative districts were redrawn. Our new House District 18 now includes all of Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson (JBER) and adjacent neighborhoods in Government Hill, Ship Creek, Fairview, and Muldoon.
Over 10,000 members of our armed services and their families live on JBER. More live off base in our neighborhoods.
Our military neighbors face challenges not shared by other Alaskans. Deployments to the most dangerous places in the world, Permanent Change of Station (PCS) moves, and barriers to spousal and family employment, are just a few.
Let’s support them.
Two years ago, I was elected to represent old House District 15 which included the Elmendorf side of JBER. Helping military members and their families became my top priority. I wrote the Military and Family Employment Act (HB 125) extending Alaska’s veteran employment preference to military families. It passed the House by a 35 -2 margin. I voted for bills by both Democrats and Republicans that help our JBER neighbors and will continue to do so.
All Alaskans can count on me to:
- Protect the PFD by putting it, and a tough new Spending Cap, in our Alaska Constitution. I voted for the full PFD ten times yet it remains a partisan football.
- Promote a vibrant and opportunity driven economy that creates well-paying jobs.
- Reject reckless and wasteful new tax schemes and submit every measure to raise taxes or create new taxes to a vote of the people.
- Put every measure to impose new taxes to a direct vote of the people.
David Nelson is a member of the Alaska Army National Guard. Use of his military rank and job title does not imply endorsement by the Department of Defense, the Department of the Army or the Alaska Army National Guard.